Monday, June 9, 2014

Review-The Kraken King Serial Novel

The Kraken King
by Meljean Brook

This is book 4 in Brook's Iron Seas Series, and the thing to know about this is that it was written in serial format, but the parts are all out now. Eventually it will all be bound into one book, but the parts are all available. I'll admit, I waited to read it because I can't handle serial novels, but the premise is clever, particularly considering who the heroine is. There are 8 parts, as follow:





























The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster

The Kraken King and the Abominable Worm

The Kraken King and the Fox's Den

The Kraken King and the Inevitable Abduction

The Kraken King and the Iron Heart

The Kraken King and the Crumbling Walls

The Kraken King and the Empress's Eyes

The Kraken King and the Greatest Adventure


Zenobia Fox has been a character I have had my heart set on since the very beginning. We have had glimpses of her since the beginning with more information dribbled through the series. For The Kraken King Zenobia has decided to set out on her own (albeit rather tame) adventure. As might be expected, things don't stay tame for very long, which is how she ends up in the clutches of Ariq, the Kraken King.

Because this is a serial, each of the 8 sections definitely have their own beginning, middle and ends, which makes it difficult for me to synopsis. So, I'll just go with my thoughts and impressions. While I read it straight through, I can see how this would not be as irritating as I have found many serials to be, there aren't any major hang ups at the end of each section, and each section flows rather neatly to the next. It's a conundrum how she managed it, but it was nicely done. I love the covers, they are so gorgeous, the titles of each section are extremely clever and cute (but i wish there was some way to have that on the cover). And I adore both Zenobia and Ariq. Most of the plot resolves around the Big Misunderstandings, which normally I hate that trope, but it works well here, they each have legitimate reasons to keep their mouth shut, and with a lack of information of course there are misunderstandings. It works because it wasn't just that they didn't communicate, but that they couldn't always communicate. Even so, their romance was lovely to read and you really got a good sense of these two characters and how their lives might mesh in the future. It was also a very interesting look into Brook's alternate history, which I find fascinating.

4 stars for a solid Iron Seas Adventure, and while I can't say this has changed my mind about serials, it may have made me just a teensy bit more open minded about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment