Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Making room in my budget for books: Part 2



This blog is migrating to WordPress.

Reading, especially if you are voracious, can be a remarkably expensive hobby. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I am perfectly willing to find ways to make the cost less onerous, or to squeeze money out of other parts of my budget. So here's a run down of most of the things I have included in my day to day habits to help finagle my finances.

OpenLibrary is a free online library open to quite literally anyone with an internet connection and the ability to use AdobeDRM. Handy tip: never get the epub, always stick with the PDF. The selection is bizarre, but there are some true out of print gems in there.

I've also finally renewed my library card and am using Overdrive. My library's selection is hit or miss, but a book I don't have to pay for is a different book I can purchase some other time. And an online library is a library that doesn't require pants, which is always a bonus.

I also started using apps and online printable coupons. There were quite a few on that last post, but I have added a couple more.

For Texas specific residents who shop at HEB, there is now an app, and there are digital coupons. A few key things to remember, when you buy something that you have a digital coupon for, if you also give them a paper coupon they will ALWAYS default to the paper coupon, even if it is worth less. Also, this means no doubling of store and manufacturer's coupons. However, and this is key, HEB does some really cool things with their coupons, like $2 off an $8 purchase of produce, or meat, or seafood. There are even coupons for things like bread and milk. So there are coupons for things you almost always buy but almost never get coupons for. Pairing the app/digital coupons with the email newsletter ones has resulted in some pretty incredible shopping deals. I have to eat, but at least now I don't have to spend quite as much. Plus, it has a grocery list feature and lets you add things to your list from the sale ads. It doesn't let you add things to your grocery list from the coupons list yet, nor does it take you to the coupons directly (grocery IQ is better for this), but if you add an item that does have a coupon it will highlight it to let you know you can go "clip" that coupon.

The other new app I have added is Shopkick (disclaimer: that will link to my referral code). This is an odd app and I had been resistant to getting it. Basically, you get points for walking into stores that offer "kicks", for scanning specific items, and for linking your credit card and purchasing from specific stores (this last one I have not done). There is not an amazon giftcard option or a cash option, so you can't directly buy books with your savings, but it is a relatively painless way to earn giftcards for stores like Macy's, Starbucks, or a variety of other places.

So this is where I'm at in the budget finagling. Anyone else have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment